(Press release courtesy of Uganda Chess Federation)
National Chess League leaders Mulago Kings Chess Club face second placed archrivals City Chess Club in a 12th round potential title decider to be played on the afternoon of Sunday 25th September 2011 at Hotel Africana.
Earlier in the morning, Kings will be in for a less sterner test against Makerere University while City will take on Kireka Chess Club in the 11th round.
Kings are ahead of City by 2.5 points and the team’s charge to the top has been inspired by Olympian Harold Wanyama, Patrick Kawuma, Kenneth Kakooza, Grace Nsubuga and Debby Wanja. On their part, City who are having a highly successful league debut have been propelled to form by national junior champion, Haruna Nsubuga, Daniel Bagadde, Rajab Kamoga, Moses Etoru and Christine Namaganda.
City’s Kamoga and Uganda Chess Academy’s Walter Okas have so far proved to be the best players of the tournament having amassed a total of 9.5 points each out of 10 games played. Christie Namaganda has also been a sensation for City as she too is unbeaten after getting 8 wins and two draws in 10 games for a total of 9 points out of 10.
In other games, third placed Uganda Chess Academy will take on Mengo and Kireka Chess Club in the 11th and 12th rounds while Mulago Knights will play Mulago Rooks in the morning and later take on UCU Mukono Knights in the afternoon.
Aviation Chess Club will play Mulago Pawns in the morning before taking on Bank of Uganda Chess Club in the afternoon. Makindye Chess Club will play BOU and Barclays while Mulago Queens take on Enkabi and Mulago Rooks.
Full pairing for the two rounds to be played on Sunday is as follows:
Round 11 – 25th August 2011 at 10 am:
- Aviation CC v/s Mulago Pawns CC
- Bank of Uganda CC v/s Makindye CC
- Barclays CC v/s UCU – Mukono Knights
- Mulago Knights CC v/s Mulago Rooks CC
- Mulago Queens CC v/s Enkabi CC
- Makere University CC v/s Mulago Kings CC
- City CC v/s Kireka CC
- Uganda Chess Academy v/s Mengo CC
Round 12 – 25th August 2011 at 3 pm:
- Mulago Pawns CC v/s Mengo CC
- Kireka CC v/s Uganda Chess Academy
- Mulago Kings CC v/s City CC
- Enkabi CC v/s Makerere University CC
- Mulago Rooks CC v/s Mulago Queens CC
- UCU – Mukono Knights v/s Mulago Knights CC
- Makindye CC v/s Barclays CC
- Aviation CC v/s Bank of Uganda CC
More details about the Ugandan National Chess League can be accessed here.