(Press release courtesy of Uganda Chess Federation)
National Chess League leaders, Mulago Kings Chess Club are in a buoyant mood and optimistic of extending their half point lead as they prepare to take on bottom placed Bank of Uganda Chess Club in the seventh round to be played at Hotel Africana on Sunday 28th August 2011 at 10 am.
Later in the afternoon, the leaders will be in for a sterner test against Barclays Bank Chess Club led by former Olympian Stephen Opio who is yet to lose a game in the league after drawing two and shocking Mengo’s Olympian Bob Bibasa with a win against him in the sixth round. Kings’ line up is expected to comprise of Olympian Harold Wanyama, Grace Nsubuga, Kenneth Kakooza, Wilson Mugwanya and Deborah Katland. The game to watch will be the duel between Wanyama and Barclays’ Opio in the 8th round.
In other games, second placed City Chess Club will be up against Mulago Pawns and Makerere University in the seventh and eigth rounds respectively.
Other 7th and 8th round fixtures will be as follows:
Round 7 – 28th August 2011 at 10 am:
- UCU – Mukono Knights v/s Mulago Pawns CC
- Makindye CC v/s Mulago Rooks CC
- Aviation CC v/s Enkabi CC
- Bank of Uganda CC v/s Mulago Kings CC
- Barclays CC v/s Kireka CC
- Mulago Knights CC v/s Mengo CC
- Mulago Queens CC v/s Uganda Chess Academy
- Makere University CC v/s City CC
Round 8 – 28th August 2011 at 3 pm:
- Mulago Pawns CC v/s City CC
- Uganda Chess Academy v/s Makerere University CC
- Mengo CC v/s Mulago Queens CC
- Kireka CC v/s Mulago Knights CC
- Mulago Kings CC v/s Barclays CC
- Enkabi CC v/s Bank of Uganda CC
- Mulago Rooks CC v/s Aviation CC
- UCU – Mukono Knights v/s Makindye CC
More details about the Ugandan National Chess League can be accessed here.