Text and Photos: Paras Gudka
The 2012 Nairobi Chess League organised by Nairobi Chess Club came to a close on Saturday, 3rd March 2012 with Round 7 and Round 8 matches played that afternoon.
Kais Mussa of NCA Team 1 caused the upset of Round 7 when he beat university player Njuru Mwangi of Sicilian Simbas.
Sicilian Simbas were eventual winners of the league with 7.5 match points out of 8, their only draw coming from the match against second placed Lion Kings.
The Lion Kings ended the league with 7 points, drawing two matches against Sicilian Simbas and Mating Zombies.
Third placed Mating Zombies won 4 matches, drew 3 and lost 1 to finish with 5.5 points. Following them in fourth and fifth places respectively were Kenyatta University Chess Club and WeCC Thoroughbreds.
Final team standings were as follows:
- Sicilian Simbas – 7.5 match points (25 game points)
- Lion Kings – 7 match points (24.5 game points)
- Mating Zombies – 5.5 match points (20 game points)
- Kenyatta University Chess Club – 4.5 match points (20.5 game points)
- WeCC Thoroughbreds – 4.5 match points (19 game points)
- Mighty Pawns – 4.5 match points (18.5 game points)
- University of Nairobi Chess Club – 4.5 match points (17 game points)
- Tritonite Stars – 4 match points (18 game points)
- Nairobi Chess Club – 4 match points (16.5 game points)
- NCA Team 1 – 4 match points (15 game points)
- Kenya Polytechnic Chess Club – 4 match points (14 game points)
- Stima Chess Club – 3.5 match points (14 game points)
- Tritonite Kids – 3 match points (13 game points)
- NCA Team 2 – 2 match points (6 game points)
- Maycan Queens – 1.5 match points (8 game points)
- Braeburn High School Chess Club – 0 match points (3 game points)
Full standings and results of the 2012 Nairobi Chess League can be found at http://j.mp/2012ncl.
The prize giving ceremony will take place on Saturday, 24th March 2012 from 4.30 pm at Goan Gymkhana.