(Press release courtesy of Westlands Chess Club)
To celebrate the recent launch of our completed website and the application for an exemption from registration under the Societies Act and to keep our promise of at least one tournament every month, we proudly bring to you our second tournament since the ’2012 NCL Qualifiers’ last month – the WeCC February Blitz Championship.
Those of you who participate will be able to see your WeCC ratings on our website within a week of the tournament having completed. We have separate ratings for Blitz, Rapid and Classical games. Tournament details follow.
WeCC February Blitz Championship
Dates: Saturday, 25th and Sunday, 26th February 2012
Times: Saturday, 1.30 pm to 5.30 pm; Sunday, 9.30 am to 6.30 pm (see schedule below)
Mode of Play: 10 rounds Swiss system + playoffs (quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals) + tie-breaker (if required)
Time Control: 10 minutes per player to finish the game
- Members* – KES 500 (KES 525 if paying via M-PESA)
- Non-members – KES 800 (KES 825 if paying via M-PESA)
*For quarterly, half-yearly or annual members
Registration Deadline: 9 pm on Friday, 24th February
- 1st Place (overall) – Trophy + certificate + KES 3,000 (cash)
- 2nd Place (overall) – Trophy + certificate + KES 2,000 (cash)
- 3rd Place (overall) – Trophy + certificate + KES 1,000 (cash)
- 4th Place (overall) – Gold medal + certificate
- 5th Place (overall) – Silver medal + certificate
- Best Dressed Player (Male) – Certificate + surprize
- Best Dressed Player (Female) – Certificate + surprize
Dress Code: Formals only (jeans, corduroys, khakis, t-shirts and casual shirts are not allowed)
Saturday, 25th February 2012
- 1.30 pm: Arrival of players
- 1.45 to 2 pm: Briefing of rules by organiser and arbiter
- 2 to 2.20 pm: Leg 1 Round 1
- 2.25 to 2.45 pm: Round 2
- 2.55 to 3.15 pm: Round 3
- 3.20 to 3.40 pm: Round 4
- 3.50 to 4.10 pm: Round 5
- 4.15 to 4.35 pm: Round 6
- 4.45 to 5.05 pm: Round 7
- 5.10 to 5.30 pm: Round 8
Sunday, 26th February 2012
- 9.30 am: Arrival of players
- 9.45 to 10 am: Warm up + announcements by organiser/arbiter
- 10 to 10.20 am: Round 9
- 10.25 to 10.45 am: Round 10
- 11 to 11.20 am: Leg 2 Quarter-finals Match 1 (W1 v/s W5; W2 v/s W6; W3 v/s W7; W4 v/s W8 )
- 11.25 to 11.45 am: Quarter-finals Match 2 (W5 v/s W1; W6 v/s W2; W7 v/s W3; W8 v/s W4)
- 11.55 am to 12.15 pm: Semi-finals Match 1 (W1/5 v/s W3/7; W2/6 v/s W4/8)
- 12.20 to 12.40 pm: Semi-finals Match 2 (W3/7 v/s W1/5; W4/8 v/s W2/6)
- 12.45 to 1.05 pm: Semi-finals Match 3 (W1/5 v/s W3/7; W2/6 v/s W4/8)
- 1.10 to 1.30 pm: Semi-finals Match 4 (W3/7 v/s W1/5; W4/8 v/s W2/6)
- 1.30 to 2 pm: Lunch
- 2.05 to 2.25 pm: Finals Match 1 (W1/5/3/7 v/s W2/6/4/8)
- 2.30 to 2.50 pm: Finals Match 2 (W2/6/4/8 v/s W1/5/3/7)
- 3 to 3.20 pm: Finals Match 3 (W1/5/3/7 v/s W2/6/4/8)
- 3.25 to 3.45 pm: Finals Match 4 (W2/6/4/8 v/s W1/5/3/7)
- 3.55 to 4.15 pm: Finals Match 5 (W1/5/3/7 v/s W2/6/4/8)
- 4.20 to 4.40 pm: Finals Match 6 (W2/6/4/8 v/s W1/5/3/7)
- 4.50 to 5.10 pm: Finals Match 7 (W1/5/3/7 v/s W2/6/4/8)
- 5.15 to 5.35 pm: Finals Match 8 (W2/6/4/8 v/s W1/5/3/7)
- 5.40 to 6 pm: Finals (Tie-breaker)
- 6 to 6.30 pm: Prize giving
- This event is open to the first 40 players who pay the tournament participation fee. This is to ensure adequate arrangements are made prior to the first day of the tournament.
- The top 8 contestants from the first leg of the tournament (10 rounds Swiss) will move on to the next leg (playoffs) till a champion is determined via quarter-finals (2 matches each), semi-finals (4 matches each) and finals (8 matches each).
- Deadline for payment of tournament participation fee is 9 pm on Friday, 24th February 2012 and payment can be made:
- Via M-PESA to 0705 662 705 (add a withdrawal fee of KES 25 per entry)
- In cash during our weekly club meets at Coffee World (Slush), Corner Plaza, Parklands Road on Wednesdays from 6.30 to 9.30 pm. A receipt will be issued for the same.
- Chess sets and quartz analogue clocks WILL be provided. If you have a digital clock and prefer to use it for your matches, please bring it along.
- The winner of this tournament will attain the title of ‘WeCC February Blitz Champion’ and will gain free entry to the next edition of this championship in May 2012.
- Lunch WILL NOT be provided and can be bought at the tournament venue.
- THE SCHEDULE PRINTED ABOVE WILL BE ADHERED TO STRICTLY AND NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
- Players who show up at the venue dressed in jeans, corduroys, khakis, shorts, short skirts, t-shirts, casual shirts, singlets or vests WILL NOT be allowed to participate and no refunds will be made so please follow the dress code of FORMALS ONLY.
- The best dressed male player and female player will each receive a surprise prize we call the ‘surprize’.
- In case of queries, call tournament director Paras Gudka on 0712 881 515.