(Press release courtesy of Uganda Chess Federation)
FM Elijah Emojong and Rajab Kamoga, two players who have never represented Uganda at the World Chess Olympiad are enjoying an early lead with 3.5 points each out of 4 games in the ongoing qualifiers for the Olympiad being played at Pope Paul Memorial Hotel in Kampala.
To get to 3.5 points, Emojong beat Bob Bibasa, Shadrack Kantinti, Farouk Fauza and drew with ex Olympian Kenneth Kakooza while Kamoga beat Vianney Luggya, Haruna Nsubuga, Patrick Kawuma and drew with ex Olympian Shadrack Kantinti.
In the ladies category, Goretti Angolikin is leading with 4 points out of 4 games after she beat Joan Nakimuli, Gloria Nansubuga, Cathy Kenyange and Vanessa Nakayima. In second position is ex Olympian Phiona Mutesi with 3.5 points after she beat fellow Olympian Ivy Amoko in the fourth round.
The games continue with fifth and sixth round games on Tuesday 1st May 2012 at Pope Paul.
Standings after 4 rounds are as follows:
- FM Emojong Elijah – 3.5 points (out of 4)
- Kamoga Rajab – 3.5 points
- Wanyama Harold – 2.5 points
- CM Bibasa Bob Gilbert – 2.5 points
- Nsubuga Haruna – 2.5 points
- Kakooza Kenneth – 2 points
- Farouk Fauza – 2 points
- Kantinti Shadrack – 1.5 points
- CM Kawuma Patrick – 1.5 points
- Luggya Vianney – 1 point
- Mawanda Michael – 1 point
- Bagaade Daniel – 0.5 points
- Angolikin Goretti – 4 points (out of 4)
- Mutesi Phionah – 3.5 points
- Babirye Stella – 3.5 points
- Amoko Ivy Claire – 3 points
- Nsubuga Ritah – 3 points
- Namaganda Christine – 2 points
- Wanja Deborah – 1.5 points
- Kenyangye Cathy – 1 point
- Nansubuga Gloria – 1 point
- Nakimuli Joan – 1 point
- Kanayiwa Irene – 0.5 points
- Nakayima Vanessa – 0 points