Westlands Chess Club announced earlier this week that they will be organising their fifth event this year – the WeCC June Rapid Open Chess Tournament – on 30th June and 1st July at the club’s headquarters. The tournament is being sponsored by Pacvel Hardware Ltd with Red Dot Engraving and Slush Coffee World as event partners. Details follow.
WeCC June Rapid Open Chess Tournament poster
Dates: Saturday, 30th June and Sunday, 1st July 2012
Time: 9 am to 5 pm on both days (see schedule below)
Venue: Slush Coffee World, Corner Plaza, Parklands Road
Mode of Play: 8 rounds Swiss system
Time Control: 45 minutes per player to finish the game
Walkover Time: 10 minutes from the start of the round
- Members* – KES 350 (in advance); KES 450 (on tournament day)
- Non-members – KES 700 (in advance); KES 900 (on tournament day)
*Discounted rates are for annual members only
- M-PESA – Send KES 375/725 to 0705 662 705 by 5 pm on 29th June 2012
- Cash – In person between 8.30 and 9.30 am on 30th June 2012
Registration Deadline: 9.30 am on Saturday, 30th June 2012
(To register, send the participant’s name, date of birth and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘WeCC June Rapid Open Registration’ in the subject line)
- 1st Place – Trophy + KES 5,000 cash + certificate
- 2nd Place – Trophy + KES 3,500 cash + certificate
- 3rd Place – Trophy + KES 2,000 cash + certificate
- 1st Place – Gold medal + KES 2,500 cash + certificate
- 2nd Place – Silver medal + KES 1,750 cash + certificate
- 3rd Place – Bronze medal + KES 1,000 cash + certificate
- 1st Place – Gold medal + gift voucher + certificate
- 2nd Place – Silver medal + gift voucher + certificate
- 3rd Place – Bronze medal + gift voucher + certificate
- Best-dressed player (male) – Gift voucher + certificate
- Best-dressed player (female) – Gift voucher + certificate
- Raffle surprizes – Gift vouchers x 3
Dress Code: Formals or smart casuals (shorts, short skirts, singlets or vests are not allowed)
Tournament Sponsor: Pacvel Hardware Ltd
Prize and souvenir partners: Red Dot Engraving
Tournament Organiser/Director: Paras Gudka
Tournament Arbiter: Mathew Kiama
Saturday, 30th June 2012
- Registration: 8.30 to 9.30 am
- Round 1: 9.40 to 11.10 am
- Round 2: 11.20 am to 12.50 pm
- Lunch: 12.50 to 1.50 pm
- Round 3: 1.50 to 3.20 pm
- Round 4: 3.30 to 5 pm
Sunday, 1st July 2012
- Round 5: 9 to 10.30 am
- Round 6: 10.40 am to 12.10 pm
- Lunch: 12.10 to 1.10 pm
- Round 7: 1.10 to 2.40 pm
- Round 8: 2.50 to 4.20 pm
- Prize Giving: 4.30 to 5 pm
- This tournament is open to the first 40 chess players to register.
- Deadline for registration is 9.30 am on Saturday, 30th June 2012 and payment can be made:
- Via M-PESA to 0705 662 705 (add a withdrawal fee of KES 25 per entry) by 5 pm on Friday, 29th June 2012
- In cash between 8.30 and 9.30 am on Saturday, 30th June 2012 at the tournament venue.
- FIDE tournament rules will apply and the arbiter’s decision will be final.
- In case of a tie, the player with a higher Buchholz will be awarded the prize.
- THE SCHEDULE PRINTED ABOVE WILL BE ADHERED TO STRICTLY AND NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
- Players who show up at the venue dressed in shorts, short skirts, singlets or vest WILL NOT be allowed to participate so please follow the dress code of formals or smart casuals
- Lunch WILL NOT be provided and can be bought at the tournament venue.
- Chess sets, analogue clocks, recording sheets and pens will be provided. If you have a digital clock and wish to use it, please bring it along.
- Participants will be able to see their WeCC rapid ratings within a week of completion of the tournament.
- In case of queries, call tournament director Paras Gudka on 0712 881 515.